Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tough Toys for Pit Bulls

Not all Pit Bulls are tough chewers, and not all bullies like to destroy their toys, but I have one of those dogs. I have a Pit Bull who thinks that if it squeaks, she has to dissect it to find what makes it tick.

Rubber gets chewed like gum, plush toys get autopsied, and tennis balls get shredded. That's just what she does, so buying toys for a dog who destroys everything you give her is hard. I started buying cheap toys from jefferspet.com so that when she tore it up, I knew I only spent a few bucks on it versus full retail price from the pet store.

But, that's not always fair when the other dogs get new toys, and she gets stuck with a cheap toy from my closet.

I did find that ropes last the longest, so when the other dogs get cute toys, MIA the pit bull gets a big rope to play with. She loves it, even though she still power-chews the ends and the notes and frays the rope.

If you have a dog like mine, who loves to chew and destroy toys, you know my pain. I mean, it stinks when Petsmart has a sale on holiday toys after the holiday, and I can't buy my girl a big spider toy for $3.00. I will still buy the spider toy, but I'll give it to a friend who has a pit mix, who just loves on toys and plays normal without destroying them.

Where MIA isn't like Sammy, your dog may be like MIA. If that's the case, all you can do is try tough dog toys and see if the toy can hold up to your dog.

The rubber tires are supposed to be great for tough chewers, but after a few days, MIA's become chewing gum.

The canvass toys and plush toys made of thick materials for medium to heavy chewers didn't last long either. She loved on the toys for a while, but as soon as she made the first tiny hole, it was autopsy time.

 For the most part, all you can do is buy something that is recommended for tough toy chewers, and hope your dog doesn't destroy the toy. Otherwise, talk to friends and see what they've tried with their dogs, and maybe your dog will follow in line.

If all else fails, consider ropes, cheap toys that won't hurt your feelings when they're destroyed, or Kong toys.

West Paw Design Zogoflex® Dog Toy, Hurley, Large (Colors Vary)Booda Fresh N Floss 3 Knot Tug Rope Dog Toy, X-Large, Winter MintKONG Extreme Dog Toy, Large, BlackKyjen Fire Hose Squeak 'n Fetch Dog Toy, Large, RedNylabone Dura Chew Plus Bone, Chicken Flavor, WolfNew PetSport USA Survivor Tire Trax 6 inch Perfect Dental Chew Toy for Dogs Natural Rubber Non-toxic

No comments:

Google